Dear Mason faculty and staff,

In commemoration of Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. the Annual MLK Day Read-in with Professor Richard E. Rubenstein is scheduled on Wednesday, January 28th, 2009, 11:00am until 1:00pm, in Johnson Center 240A, the Paul Robeson Room.  Professor Rubenstein will lead, and facilitate, an open discussion on Dr. King’s legacy based on some of the selected speeches by Dr. King.  The MLK Day Planning Committee cordially invites you to attend this event.
Below are the links to the recorded speeches by Dr. King that we encourage you to read or listen, though you are not expected to do so prior to attending this event. Although, at the Read-in we encourage you to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections of Dr. King’s speeches with the group, and they connect the work of Dr. King and the Civil Rights Movement to the historic election of the 44th President of the United States, Barack Obama.

Once again, you are encouraged to go beyond the links provided below, and share any meditations you may have regarding what Dr. King’s legacy means to you.  We look forward to seeing you at this event.  If you have any questions, please contact Mika’il Petin at 703-993-4080, [log in to unmask], or Shaoxian Yu at 703-993-2703, [log in to unmask].

MLK Day Commemoration Planning Committee

"I've been to the mountain top"
http://americanradioworks.publicradio.org/features/sayitplain/mlking.html

"I have a dream"
http://www.americanrhetoric.com/speeches/mlkihaveadream.htm

"Why I oppose the Vietnam War"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b80Bsw0UG-U

"Democracy Now program highlighting Dr. King"
http://www.democracynow.org/2008/1/21/dr_martin_luther_king_jr_1929

"A Time to Break Silence part - 1"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5VhCvrEcPY

"A Time to Break Silence part - 2"