I cannot reproduce this on the Mac, with or without the new (and much
slower) Sun renderer.  So I'm guessing it's Sun's windowing code.
MASON's optimizations push Java pretty hard so I wouldn't be surprised.

More data would be helpful.  What version of MASON are you running?  Is
it a snapshot or taken off of CVS?

Only while running is telling: this means it's probably something to do
with MASON blocking waiting for a repaint.

Just for grins, go to sim/display/Display.java, and comment out the
following line:

                 Utilities.doEnsuredRepaint(header);

Recompile and tell me if it's still doing it.

Sean