Hi Sean,

Thanks for the reply.  I now have a distributed Master-Slave set-up
implemented, and it produces replicable runs regardless of the order
that the slaves are brought online.  Indeed, you can shut them down /
bring others up throughout the run and still maintain the replicability.

In this case, I create the test cases once at the start of each
generation (using a stats class as you suggested in a previous post!).
Subsequent fitness evaluations do not rely on the random number
generator.  I create the test cases in the Master, then place a
reference to them in each individual.  This is then dispatched to each
slave for evaluation.  The slaves use the test cases stored within the
individual for evaluation.

The same method can be applied more generally, if the random number
generator is needed for evaluation.  Either a set of random numbers can
be attached to an individual at the start of a generation, or a single
seed to be used to seed a Mersenne Twister in the slave.

This does create some overhead in writing the data to the
DataOutputStream, but it is pretty small (at least for me!).

Cheers,

David