It was deliberate.  ECJ was designed to be hacked.  This came out of
my experience heavily modifying lil-gp to the point where you
wouldn't recognize it any more, before building ECJ.  It's the same
reason ECJ doesn't come as a jar file.  We want people to modify it
as they see fit.

We've moved to more private methods in certain areas where the
complexity was too high to allow people to fool around with our code
(such as the distributed evaluator).

Also, getters and setters, even when inlined, *are* slower than
direct access, but that's not a big deal.

Sean