Dear Glen,

I've been working on distributed simulation of agent-based systems for
some time.
If you're interested in the general issues (not specifically MASON, Grid
etc) there is plenty of literature, I can pass you some if you are.

I should point out that cluster and grid computing are quite different
and have different benefits and drawbacks.

If you're interested in the latter then I have actually developed a
bacteria simulation using MASON which uses HLA and Globus(Grid) to run
in both WAN and LAN environments. If you're interested you can find out
more here...

http://www.cs.nott.ac.uk/~bsl/papers/Lees++:07b.pdf
http://www.cs.nott.ac.uk/~bsl/papers/Logan++:06a.pdf

If you have some specific/general questions I'd be happy to try and help

-Mike