Steven,

If you need to read and work with vector GIS, you might find following scrap code useful:

http://www.css.gmu.edu/~mlatek/downloads/GeoTools/

If you would rather see first if this is what you desire, there is a huge zip file that includes a self contained jar file and some shapefiles. The simulation itself is very simplistic, it is composed of reading in the landscape (regions) defined in shapefile, recreating contiguity tables and having a number of agents move from one region to another randomly chosen neighbour. Depending on a system, use *.bat or *.sh to launch it. Please ignore all errors, it should launch regardlessa of them.

We have improved on this, but the code is in a private cvs and I'm out of the DC on a conference and don't have regular Internet access. Nevertheless, \should you have any questions I will try to assist.

Regards

Maciek