I got the applets working. For future applet makers:

1) The jar files for chartmaking need to be extracted within the mason.jar file. Jars within Jars don't play well. This was obvious to me once I thought about for 10 seconds.
2) The charting files do some file writing that java security doesn't like. The mason.jar must be signed with the java jarsigner tool when its done.

mike

--
Michael D. Makowsky
H.B. Earhart Fellow