Generally you don't need to sign jar files or do anything like that
unless you expect to allow the applet to read and write files on the
person's local computer.  In that case, you probably shouldn't be
doing an applet anyway, but instead distributing an application.

The descriptions you're providing are not sufficient to know what's
happening -- we don't know what the actual java error messages are.

Try running the HTML file with appletviewer and see what comes out.
appletviewer is a standard program that comes with the java
distribution.

Sean