Steven,

If you need to read and work with vector GIS, you might find following scrap
code useful:

http://www.css.gmu.edu/~mlatek/downloads/GeoTools/
<http://www.css.gmu.edu/%7Emlatek/downloads/GeoTools/>

If you would rather see first if this is what you desire, there is a huge
zip file that includes a self contained jar file and some shapefiles. The
simulation itself is very simplistic, it is composed of reading in the
landscape (regions) defined in shapefile, recreating contiguity tables and
having a number of agents move from one region to another randomly chosen
neighbour. Depending on a system, use *.bat or *.sh to launch it. Please
ignore all errors, it should launch regardlessa of them.

We have improved on this, but the code is in a private cvs and I'm out of
the DC on a conference and don't have regular Internet access. Nevertheless,
\should you have any questions I will try to assist.

Regards

Maciek