MASON doesn't have any pre-defined message-passing mechanism.  If you
have an agent who wants to send a message to others, the easiest
approach is for him to grab them and call some function on them.

As to line of sight: MASON provides neighborhood lookup functions in
various fields (Continuous2D, Grid2D, etc.).  But if you're talking
about object occlusion etc., no, you have to check that yourself.

Sean