The previous discussion on Evolve.java got me involved in tweaking it
to make it more understandable, modifiable, and subclassable last
night.  Allow me to attach a copy of my revised version of the file
here.  I do so not because you can use it (it may or may not work
with the current on-line version of ECJ) but because I rearranged the
code a little bit and also included in the comments a BIG LONG
discussion of how the revised code works and how you can use it to
make your own main().  BTW, a basic main() can be constructed in
about ten lines.