When ECJ wants to print an ERC in a fashion that humans find legible
(printing the best individual of a generation to a file, for
example), it calls Individual.printIndividualForHumans, which in turn
calls GPTree.printTreeForHumans on its trees, which in turn call
GPNode.printRootedTreeForHumans, which in turn calls
GPNode.printNodeForHumans on each GPNode.  You can override this last
method or use the default form (easier) which simply calls
GPNode.toStringForHumans, which you have overridden.

Some points:

1. You should override toStringForHumans to provide more meaningful
information.  Instead of a hard-coded string <-1...1>, why not print
out the actual value so humans can see it?  As in ("" + value) or
whatnot.

2. When you intend to write something that's going to be read back in
again, you should call Individual.printIndividual at the top level,
not Individual.printIndividualForHumans.  This will in turn call
GPTree.printTree -> GPNode.printRootedTree -> GPNode.printNode ->
GPNode.toString -> GPNode.encode().  If you've written the encode and
decode code right already, then if you call printIndividual at the
top level you'll get what you're hoping for.  Tutorial 3 shows how to
go about reading and writing individuals to a file.

3. If you're just encoding a double, why not just use
ec.app.regression.func.RegERC?  It does what you're looking for already.

Sean