Harri, ECJ is not released under GPL because we have a variety of
commercial groups using ECJ and GPL is not condusive to this.  At
present ECJ is under a modified academic license, but I believe we
will soon be upgrading it to a high-quality academic license like AFL
or whatnot.

There are products which have been released under multiple licenses;
I'm not sure what the effect would be of releasing ECJ in this
manner, though I know it would probably be a difficulty given that my
university has at least part intellectual property control over ECJ
due to certain sections of it being written by Liviu, Gabriel, and
other research assistants.

My understanding was that the GPL is compatible with licenses that
are more lenient than it (such as a BSD license) without requiring a
license change on their part -- you may look into this.  This has
been a problem in the past:  I had to get various original sources to
release their code under an academic license to, well, weed out the
GPL from ECJ (notably in Mersenne Twister).  I'd really prefer not to
revisit that!

Sean