Sean,

   Glad to hear from you. I appreciate your help and decide to give up using ValueGridPortrayal3D and ObjectGridPortrayal3D classes. I read your tutorial 7. And I modify your fly program. It looks very good. However, I still have a problem to ask you.
SparseGrid3D and SparseGridPortrayal3D are easy to simulate the 3D visualization without rich memory requirement. But I want to know how you setup the x,y,z axis. If I make a 100*100*100 lattice with SparseGrid3D class, the origin point (0,0,0) is in the center of the screen. Then (-10,0,0) point should be in the left of the screen and
 (0,-12,0) point should be in the bottom of the screen.. But the stx, sty,stz function of SparseGrid3D will not return any negative value. If I set up the object position of (-10,7,-88), it will return (90,7,12). So I only could set the object in the northeast of the screen. If I want to control the object and set it in the screen like conways game in your tutorial, how do I solve this problem.

Thank you
John

Sean Luke <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
John, the memory requirements for ValueGridPortrayal3D and
ObjectGridPortrayal3D are ghastly, due to certain of Sun's inefficient
design mistakes in Java3D. As discussed in the README file for
sim/app/particles3d, you need to increase Java's default memory heap.
It doesn't matter that your machine has 512 megs of memory: Java always
tops out with a small heap (20 megs or so is not uncommon). You can
increase the heap by running Java differently. On a Mac or OS X, it's
done like this:

java -Xmx200m sim.app.particles3d.Particles3DWithUI

I cannot say how to do it on Windows.

Sean