John, the memory requirements for ValueGridPortrayal3D and
ObjectGridPortrayal3D are ghastly, due to certain of Sun's inefficient
design mistakes in Java3D.  As discussed in the README file for
sim/app/particles3d, you need to increase Java's default memory heap.
It doesn't matter that your machine has 512 megs of memory: Java always
tops out with a small heap (20 megs or so is not uncommon).  You can
increase the heap by running Java differently.  On a Mac or OS X, it's
done like this:

        java -Xmx200m sim.app.particles3d.Particles3DWithUI

I cannot say how to do it on Windows.

Sean