Steve,

I have similar issues.  Not to mention that you only get one run done,
so no statistical significance.

Things you may want to try:

- decrease the population size
- start with a smaller number of evaluations (say 5) to discriminate
among good and bad individuals; increase the number of evaluations
later on during the run to discriminate among really good individuals.
(check out Grajdeanu and DeJong paper in Late Breaking Papers of
GECCO-2003).
- try using an island model with N islands and 500/N individuals in
each island
- try distribute evaluations to several computers (I am not sure what
the status of that code is, but there is some code for this stuff
that's being brushed up by one of Sean Luke's students).
- be patient

Regards,

Liviu.