Hi,

I've got two questions about the MASON licence.

1) The licence states:

"to use, reproduce, modify, display, perform, sublicense and distribute
all or any portion of the source code or binary form of this software or
related data with or without modifications, or as part of a larger work;
and"

Am I right in reading that if I develop a MASON simulation (which
instantiates MASON classes, and derives new classes from them through
inheritance) then I can distribute my simulation commercially in
closed-source form as I (or my employer) sees fit?

2) However, what about the case where I copy-and-paste the code of a
MASON class in order to create a modified version? Is this any
different? (Specifically, I'm thinking of taking Console.java and
reworking it to provide extra and different panels).

One more thing; the section on patents says:

"but solely to the extent that any such patent is reasonably necessary
to enable you to Utilize all or any portion of the source code or binary
form of this software or related data, and not to any greater extent
that may be necessary to Utilize further modifications or combinations."

Should the final "that" be "than"? It would seem to me that:

"that" - we cannot "Utilize further modifications or combinations" under
this clause

"than" - we cannot use the patents any further than to "Utilize" said
modifications and combinations

yours,
rob

--
Rob Alexander                   (E-mail: [log in to unmask])
Research Associate, Dept of Computer Science, The University of York,