This nearly always happens if you have a blank line at the beginning of
your file (the files must be *exactly* as written out).  One other
possibility is that this is a problem being caused by Windows -- the
example works fine under Linux and MacOS X, where I tested it, but I
don't have a Windows box to test under.

I know the following works fine on MacOS X:  use the Finisher code I
provided and try:

cd app/regression/
java ec.Evolve -file noerc.params

This will write out the file "example.log".  Then you can load that
file as:

java ec.Evolve -file noerc.params -p pop.subpop.0.file=example.log

Sean