The easiest way to change this is to hack SimpleStatistics and change
how it gets its statisticslog.  It's in SimpleStatistics.setup(...)
Right now the log is done like this:

statisticslog = state.output.addLog(
        statisticsFile, Output.V_NO_GENERAL-1,false,
        !state.parameters.getBoolean(base.push(P_COMPRESS),null,false),
        state.parameters.getBoolean(base.push(P_COMPRESS),null,false));

You might change this to something like:

statisticslog = state.output.addLog(
        new PrintWriter(new OutputStreamWriter(System.out)),
        Output.V_NO_GENERAL-1,false,false);

...or simpler...

statisticslog = state.output.addLog(
        Log.D_STDOUT,
        Output.V_NO_GENERAL-1,false);

Maybe I got those wrong... just look up ec.util.Output