My initial guess is that there is a bug in Java's readLine() (which ECJ
relies on).  But I don't know for sure and won't be able to test for
several days.  In the mean time, please email me directly (don't bother
the list) the exact Java version you're running (run java -version),
and the particular problem you're trying.

Sean