PhD CS Program Spring 2019

Hakan Aydin <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 18 Jan 2019 13:34:29 -0500

text/plain

Dear PhD CS students,

I would like to welcome you to the Spring 2019 semester. Here are a few
notes about this semester:

1. If you are taking CS 701 this semester, you must have received a
CRN (a registration number) from the CS department for the individualized
section, after submitting your enrollment form to the CS department office.
In order to officially register, you need to go the PatriobWeb, and
register for CS 701 using that CRN. Submitting the form to the
CS department office was only the first step, and you need complete the
PatriotWeb step yourself. That is critical and time-sensitive.  Thanks to
all who completed their CS 701 registrations on the PatriotWeb.

2. SWE 637 (Software Testing) will no longer be in the advanced course
list for the PhD CS  program, effective Spring 2019.
PhD CS students who took SWE 637 prior to Spring 2019 will be able to use
it as an "advanced course" in their PhD CS plan of study.
SWE 637 remains as a breadth course for PhD CS in the area of Software
Engineering.

3. For those who want to plan for the Fall'19 semester, the department
is planning to offer 7 out of 11 breadth courses (for the new PhD CS
requirements) in Fall'19:

CS 550
CS 555
CS 580
CS 583
CS 584
SWE 619
SWE 637

Note that this is just a tentative plan, and the offerings may change due
to the (un)availability of the faculty -- but I hope you will find
this information useful.

In addition,  the required PhD CS courses CS 600 and CS 700 will be also
offered. That is all we know about Fall'19 at this point.

4. Please mark your calendars! The 2019 edition of the "Computer Science
Department PhD Research Symposium" will be on Monday, March 25,
2019.  The event will be held in Research I Building Room 163 from 10
AM - 12:30 PM.  Participation to this event is mandatory for all full-time
PhD CS students.

For those who are new:  The PhD Research Symposium is organized as
a platform to present and celebrate the research achievements of the
PhD students. Another objective is to trigger and facilitate
collaboration among the students and faculty who may be working on
similar problems.

During the event, a selected subset of PhD CS students make presentations
about their on-going research (it has both oral and poster presnetations).
The CS department will inform the students selected for presentation
during the event by e-mail, in the days to come.

I wish you a successful Spring semester.

Dr. Hakan Aydin
Professor
Director, PhD Program in Computer Science
George Mason University
Computer Science Department
4400 University Drive - MSN 4A5
Fairfax, VA - 22030