MASON-INTEREST-L Archives

March 2016

Sender:
Date:
Fri, 18 Mar 2016 11:56:08 -0400
From:
On Mar 18, 2016, at 5:08 AM, Christian Meyer <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hmm, for me the property order is not how I put the accessors into my source code. This seems to differ between JVMs.

Well, the order certainly is left unspecified in the documentation.  But almost all JVMs assume the order is the same as the order specified in the class file (by javac -- why wouldn't they?), *and* most (or all?) javac implementations put them in the order they're parsed from the file.  So I think that a great many people have generally relied on this for their models.  Certainly when I started alphabetizing, I got a bit of an outcry.

It was for this reason that I thought maybe we should them unordered by default, but make it easy to dictate an order, perhaps via a method in the objects themselves?