ECJ-INTEREST-L Archives

March 2016

From:
Date:
Thu, 31 Mar 2016 16:08:46 -0400
Actually, it's a bug in the first generation loop of CMA-ES: we were not scaling the covariance matrix by sigma, but rather leaving it as the identity matrix the first time around.  This is a minor bug but could result in CMA-ES going into, effectively, an infinite loop as it tries and fails to generate individuals within unusual min/max gene bounds.

We've fixed it as follows.  First, we fixed the bug.  Secondly, we added the ability to prescale the covariance matrix by min/max gene bounds to reduce the loop time; and third, we added an alternative individual-generation process to further reduce loop time.  See the manual for more explanation.

Anyway, fix pushed out.

Sean