Pioneer Keyspan Linux driver trouble

Sean Luke <[log in to unmask]>

GMU Robotics Club <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 2 Oct 2015 15:23:34 -0400

text/plain

So we had difficulty accessing the pioneers using Linux + the Keyspan Serial/USB converters today.  Some thoughts:

1. It's possible that there's an ioctl issue with our "serialdaemon" software, but it's very unlikely since it works fine with the other serial converters we fished out of the back room, and it also works great on the Mac.

2. Another possibility is that the Keyspans create USB devices which are only accessible by people with "dialout" permission.  To do this, you'd add yourself to the dialout group.  Like this:

	https://askubuntu.com/questions/217871/cannot-open-dev-ttys0-permission-denied-but-in-dialout-group

I think this is also unlikely because we were able to get it working at least once.

3. We could try rebuilding the Keyspan drivers.

4. Beyond that I got no idea.  Pretty weird.