MASON-INTEREST-L Archives

September 2015

From:
Axel Kowald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Sep 2015 21:42:04 +0200
Hi,

I noticed that at several places inside SimState.java the random number
seed is forced from long to int. I use qsub to submit several MASON
batch jobs to our linux cluster and I thought that using the seed as
part of a file name (to write some simulation data to disk) guarantees
unique names. But unfortunately this is not the case. If I submit 10
jobs often 1 or 2 of them have the same int seed and thus write into the
same file :-(
If I change the code inside SimState and keep the seed as long
everything looks good.

So the question is, why is the seed forced into an int and are there
some problems if it remains a long ?

Thanks,
  Axel