MASON-INTEREST-L Archives

September 2015

From:
Date:
Tue, 29 Sep 2015 11:44:18 -0400
On Sep 26, 2015, at 8:32 AM, John Nelson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> 	• Github API extends to Issue tracking. I'd like to echo issues to `MASON-INTEREST` (or HELP), rather than prohibit them.

Don't echo to MASON-HELP: it doesn't go anywhere public.  Echoing to MASON-INTEREST is plausible if it's low-noise, but it would require GitHub being able to join the MASON-INTEREST listserv, wouldn't it?  Not sure how that'd work.

> 	• I'd like to see (or, write) a README.md document, that explains how to contribute to MASON.

Sure. MASON has an existing README file (in plaintext), but it's pretty long in the tooth and certainly could use some revision, including adding a section on how to contribute.  Making it markdown wouldn't be a disaster.  If you'd like to plug away at it, sure we could stick that in the MASON toplevel.

> 	• I'd like to allow people to submit pull requests. But, explain in the contributing guide that, they won't merged via GitHub. Each pull request must be submitted as a separate branch. I'll take the branch, and submit the .patch to MASON-INTEREST-L (or HELP). Even as a trial, I think this may be a good way to test the waters for contributors.

I gotta think about this.  Branches can seriously gunk up SVN: it's a kind of hacky union that Github's done.  The big issue of course is that I'm not a git user.  I'm an SVN user and hg when pressed.  We've moved to Github not because of its facilities, but because Google code died.  So lemme mull it over.