Welcome to the Spring Semester

Linda J Davis <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 13 Jan 2015 22:01:11 +0000

text/plain

There are a number of catalog changes for AY 2015-2016 that I want to let you know about now as they directly or indirectly affect you.

1) MS students who add the Certificate in Data Analytics next academic year will no longer be allowed to substitute STAT 663 for STAT 515 in fulfilling requirements for the Certificate in Data Analytics.  If you are currently signed up for both the MS and Certificate, I have already entered the substitution into your degree evaluation.

2) Starting in this academic year (AY 2014-2015), you cannot receive credit for both STAT 515 and STAT 663.

3) OR 645 (Stochastic Processes), SYST 664/CSI 674 (Bayesian Inference and Decision Theory), and OR 719/CSI 775 (Graphical Models for Inference and Decision Making) will no longer be crosslisted as STAT courses.  So, you can still take them next academic year, but they will only apply toward elective credits, not methodology credits.

4) STAT 772 has been replaced by STAT 672.  It will be offered for the first time this summer in Session B, TR, 7:20-10 by Dr. Sutton.

5) There is a new course STAT 654 Applied Statistics II.  For future students, this will replace STAT 656 Regression Analysis as a core requirement.  However, you can take the course as a methodology course.

6) The prerequisites for a number of courses will change in AY 2015-2016.  Details will appear in the AY 2015-2016 catalog.

All of the above applies to anyone currently admitted to the MS in Statistical Science.  It does not apply to anyone admitted next academic year.

I have updated the rotation of courses posted on the departmental website (http://statistics.gmu.edu/courses/courses.html).  This listing reflects the planned course offerings starting in Fall 2015.  (Of course, course offerings are subject to minimal enrollment and instructor availability.)

Dr. Davis