]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

PHD-CS-L Home

PHD-CS-L  April 2014

PHD-CS-L April 2014

[SANG Seminar] -- 04/25 12:30 AM -- Tackling the Challenges of I/O Virtualization in Data Centers

Songqing Chen <[log in to unmask]>

Songqing Chen <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 15 Apr 2014 11:43:22 -0400

TEXT/PLAIN

Dear all,
[apologies if you receive multiple posting]

Please mark your calendar.
Date: 04/25/2014

Time: 12:30 AM - 1:30

Venue: Engineering Building 4201

Speaker: Prof. Howie Huang

Title: Tackling the Challenges of I/O Virtualization in Data Centers

Host: Songqing Chen
***************************************

Songqing

Abstract
Large-scale data centers leverage virtualization to achieve high resource
utilization, scalability, and availability. While ideally the performance
of an application running inside a virtual machine (VM) shall be
independent of co-located applications and VMs that share the physical
resources, current systems are yet to achieve this goal. In this talk, I
will describe our efforts in addressing a number of challenges in order to
achieve optimal I/O performance in such virtualized systems. Specifically,
TRACON constructs mathematical models and scheduling algorithms to
mitigate the VM interference; Matrix leverages machine learning and
optimization techniques to allocate VM resource in a way that minimizes
the cost while achieving good application performance; and Mortar enhances
the hypervisor to pool together spare memory on each machine and expose it
as a volatile data cache to improve virtual I/O performance.

Speaker Bio
Howie Huang is an Assistant Professor in Department of Electrical and
Computer Engineering at the George Washington University. His research
interests are in the areas of computer systems and architecture, including
cloud computing, big data computing, high-performance computing and
storage systems. His projects won the Best Poster Award at PACT'11, ACM
Undergraduate Student Research Competition at SC'12, and a finalist for
the Best Student Paper Award at SC'11. He was a recipient of the NSF
CAREER Award in 2014, NVIDIA Academic Partnership Award in 2011, IBM Real
Time Innovation Faculty Award in 2008, and School of Engineering and
Applied Science Outstanding Young Researcher Award in 2014. He received
his Ph.D. in Computer Science from the University of Virginia in 2008.