ECJ-INTEREST-L February 2014

Re: float->double conversion committed

Sean Luke <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 20 Feb 2014 17:00:40 -0500

text/plain

ECJ has never had a testing suite and that's a huge and embarassing failure of the library.  I have been fortunate that the library has exhibited only a few bugs, never any showstoppers, and has had a lot of eyeballs on it.

I'm not asking for big test suites at this stage -- though if someone would undertake one I have ideas about how to build one (I'd prefer to build one using the existing parameter file mechanism, which would make it easier to integrate directly into ECJ, rather than something like JUnit).  There's a lot of challenges involved in developing test suites for a stochastic system: that's easily a software engineering thesis right there (some of you might see this as an opportunity).  But some simple unit tests or sanity checks would be very welcome.

But what would benefit me right now is for people to attack the changes I made in ECJ and try to find something which messed up.  I think I got it right but made a *lot* of changes.  Places to look:

	- Am I using doubles now but calling the wrong methods in RandomChoice, or using RandomChoiceChooser rather than RandomChoiceChooserD?

	- Am I writing and reading the doubles to dataInput and dataOutput, or still writing floats?

	- Am I calling the right methods in MersenneTwisterFast?

	- How about methods in ParameterDatabase?

	- Are your experiments still seeming to run right?

... etc.  Basically I'm trying to establish an informal bug bounty in the form of eternal glory if anyone can find errors in the code I've posted.

Sean