MASON-INTEREST-L January 2014

Re: How to draw a rectangle?

Sean Luke <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 28 Jan 2014 12:17:20 -0500

text/plain

Javier, the fact that you're storing a java.awt.Rectangle in your field is immaterial to MASON. You could have stored a String there, or a Socket, for all MASON cared. In Continuous2D, simple portrayals like RectanglePortrayal2D simply represent the objects they're portraying by (typically) drawing some kind of shape which fills a 1x1 square region centered at the object's location. That's why you're seeing a square: because that's what you told MASON to do.

If you want to draw a rectangle of some sort, you'll need to customize RectanglePortrayal2D to draw a rectangle as appropriate. Let's say you want to use your Rectangle object's width and height (you'll ignore its x and y since you already have a specified location for it). You could override the draw method to do something like this:

    public void draw(Object object, Graphics2D graphics, DrawInfo2D info)
        {
Rectangle obj = (Rectangle)object; // I added this line
        Rectangle2D.Double draw = info.draw;
        final double width = draw.width*scale * obj.width; // I modified this line
        final double height = draw.height*scale * obj.height; // I modified this line

        graphics.setPaint(paint);
        if (info.precise)
            {
            if (preciseRectangle == null) preciseRectangle= new Rectangle2D.Double();
            preciseRectangle.setFrame(info.draw.x - width/2.0, info.draw.y - height/2.0, width, height);
            if (filled) graphics.fill(preciseRectangle);
            else graphics.draw(preciseRectangle);
            return;
            }

        final int x = (int)(draw.x - width / 2.0);
        final int y = (int)(draw.y - height / 2.0);
        final int w = (int)(width);
        final int h = (int)(height);

        if (filled) graphics.fillRect(x,y,w,h);
        else graphics.drawRect(x,y,w,h);
        }

You can do a similar thing for the hit testing function as well.

Given that you're trying to specify rectangles and draw them, I think you may be misunderstanding the purpose of MASON's SimplePortrayal facility. The default simple portrayals are really designed for small squarish or point objects; if you want something else you have to make your own custom portrayal.

Sean