ECJ-INTEREST-L Archives

January 2014

From:
Date:
Sat, 11 Jan 2014 23:09:50 -0500
Jake, your example implies a much more complex typing system than ECJ provides.  Notably, "Forall" implies an arbitrary number of possible types.  Set typing is explicitly more constrained than this: it only permits sets of a predefined and finite number of possible symbols.

Set typing is a very simple and limited typing scheme, more powerful than "classic" STGP, but rather less powerful than polymorphic typing schemes. Hindley–Milner it is not. The goals of the typing mechanism is to allow very fast, essentially constant-time, type constraint determination; and to have a typing which can be done entirely locally without either (1) having to do inference throughout the tree or (2) having to update the resulting typing of nodes throughout the tree.

If what you need is a polymorphic type system, or at any rate a richer set of type constraints than ECJ's simple system, you're on your own. It is not easy to build such systems into a GP framework in a way which is compatible with many other elements, notably mutation and common tree builders. If you want to go after this, Tina Yu did her thesis work in that, and Maarten Keijzer also did work in it (and I think some of his code made its way into EO). But in truth I think the easiest approach is to use Grammatical Evolution instead. ECJ has a rudimentary GE framework which will probably serve your needs.

Sean