]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

MBDN-L Home

MBDN-L  December 2013

MBDN-L December 2013

TRANSPORTATION special issue on emerging, passively generated data for travel behavior and policy analysis

Sachin Garg <[log in to unmask]>

Mason Big Data Network <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 18 Dec 2013 10:46:46 -0500

text/plain

Forwarded by Dr. Jonathan Gifford, SPP

Dear Colleagues:

Please do not forget the upcoming deadline for the call for paper for a
Transportation's special issue on Emerging, passively generated datasets
for travel behavior and policy analysis. This issue will be co-edited by
Cynthia Chen, Michael Batty, and Tom van Vuren. We need your extended
abstract (500-1000 words) by January 15, 2014. Inquiries may be sent to
any of the co-editors. Abstract submissions are to be sent to Cynthia
Chen ([log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]><mailto:[log in to unmask]>).

A copy of the CFP is below.

CALL FOR PAPERS (TRANSPORTATION)
http://www.springer.com/economics/regional+science/journal/11116
5-year impact factor: 2.131
TITLE: EMERGING, PASSIVELY GENERATED DATASETS FOR TRAVEL BEHAVIOR AND
POLICY ANALYSIS
Scope
The rapid rise of social media tools combined with location-aware
sensors has made the collection of passive data possible. Unlike
traditional, purpose-designed and actively collected travel survey data,
which attempts to record every trip made by a respondent during a
certain time period (e.g., 24 hours) so that activity locations such as
home locations and work places are known, these passively collected
datasets typically only contain sightings that may suggest locations
visited. Furthermore, such datasets do not readily contain important
variables for travel behavior and policy analysis such as
socio-demographic and economic factors. The recent availability of these
new, emerging passive data sources has motivated a surge of studies on
human mobility and its implications in the use of space, social
relationships, and location-based services. Few studies, however, have
been conducted to answer questions directly relevant to travel behavior
and policy analysis. New statistical methods are needed to process and
analyze such large, noisy datasets and integrate them with other
datasets of different temporal and spatial scales and/or containing
important variables (such as census data with socio-demographics).
Guest Editors
Cynthia Chen, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering,
University of Washington, Seattle, USA.
[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]
<mailto:[log in to unmask]:[log in to unmask]>>
Michael Batty, Center for Advanced Spatial Analysis (CASA), University
College London, London. [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]
<mailto:[log in to unmask]:[log in to unmask]>>
Tom van Vuren (Editorial Board Transportation), Mott MacDonald,
Birmingham, UK. [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]
<mailto:[log in to unmask]:[log in to unmask]>>
Schedule
Submission of abstracts: January 15, 2014
Invitation of full papers: February 15, 2014
Submission of full papers: May 15, 2014
Feedback of first-round reviews: August 15, 2014
Revised manuscripts due: November 15, 2014

Feedback from second-round reviews issued (if need be): December 30, 2014

Final manuscripts due: January 30, 2015

Planned publication: 2015
Coverage
With this call for papers, we encourage submissions that use the new,
emerging passive datasets and apply innovative methods on such datasets
for an improved understanding of travel behavior and policy analysis. We
also welcome methodological papers discussing how such data can best be
analyzed and merged with other sources, dealing with bias in the sample,
and lack of traditional variables.  Finally, we seek papers exploring
how these datasets have been or can be used for transportation policy
and transportation system planning and management purposes, including
the limitations on the use of this data. We particularly welcome joint
submissions from within and outside the transportation research community.
Papers responding to this call must either use such datasets or discuss
the use of such datasets. Contributions may be made in one or more
aspects of the following:
           Improving our understanding in human mobility patterns
           Improving our understanding of the built environment we live in
           Improving our understanding of human-nature relationships
           Improving our understanding of social relationships
           For better policy making, for better transportation system
planning and management purposes
           Methodological contributions
Abstract
The abstract needs to be sufficiently detailed to enable the Guest
Editors to determine whether it is likely to be a precursor of an
acceptable, within scope, paper.  It will typically be at least 500
words long, but not more than 1,000.
Authors
Please provide information on the authors(s) including affiliation(s),
position(s), and research interests.
Submission method
All submissions shall be sent to Cynthia Chen by email and go through a
normal peer review process.
Inquires
Inquires about this call for paper may be sent to any of the guest editors.
_____________________________
Michael Batty
Centre for Advanced Spatial Analysis (CASA)
University College London
90 Tottenham Court Road, London W1N 6TR
Tel 44-(0)20 3108 3877 Cell 44-(0)7768 423 656
http://www.complexcity.info/
t @jmichaelbatty
--
Sachin Garg <[log in to unmask]>
Doctoral Student & Graduate Research Assistant