FW: Two Events

Karen Lawson <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 22 Oct 2013 18:43:51 +0000

-----Original Message-----
From: AFAM All [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Mika'il Petin
Sent: Tuesday, October 22, 2013 12:52 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Two Events

Hello everyone:

There are two upcoming events that may be of interest to you, your colleagues, and students:
1) Ethics of Race and the Fall of Apartheid: Sociopolitical Realities of South Africa; Past and Present

A Film and Q&A session with Professor Willie Esterhuyse

Tuesday, October 22, 2013, 4:30-7:30 pm Mason Hall, Room D3 on the Fairfax Campus

Dr. Willie Esterhuyse, Emeritus Professor of Philosophy and Business Ethics at the University of Stellenbosch, a columnist and renowned critic of the apartheid system, will discuss his work as an anti-apartheid leader and the existing challenges in modern-day South Africa.

Professor Esterhuyse's recent book, Endgame, recounts his role in Track II diplomatic efforts leading to the end of Apartheid. Dr. Esterhuyse's account provides a unique and inside look at the various stakeholders of South Africa's political transformation in the 1980s. Endgame has been adapted into a feature film of the same title, which will be shown in part through the presentation.

2) The U.S. Association for Former Members of Congress along with the National Archives will host an event at 7:00PM on November 7th at the National Archives. Our event is a Panel discussion on the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the Voting Rights Act of 1965, held in celebration of the opening of the David M. Rubenstein Gallery, "Records of Rights" permanent exhibition.
Participating in the panel are distinguished former members of congress, a Former FCC Chairman, and a Former Republican National Committee Chairman.

 This is a very exciting and important event for us, as we have participants who were involved in writing the legislation and the passing of the Acts.
And as we reach the 50th anniversary of these Acts it is important to us to reflect.  I was wondering if you would be able to pass this information along to those departments, students, or organizations at George Mason University that you feel might be interested in attending this event.  If you are not the correct person for me to contact regarding publicizing this event, would you mind pointing me to the right person?

Below you will find our PDF advertisement for the event.  Please feel free to pass this along to anyone you feel would be interested in attending.

Also please feel free to e-mail at any time with any questions.

Madeline Fetterly, U.S. Association for Former Members of Congress, Communications Intern, [log in to unmask]
---
Mika'il Petin