]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

MASON-INTEREST-L Home

MASON-INTEREST-L  August 2012

MASON-INTEREST-L August 2012

Re: "Show Layers" button slows down simulation

Sean Luke <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 7 Aug 2012 08:44:24 +0200

text/plain

That is indeed strange.  I presume you mean the button on the top-left of a Display which lets you pull down a menu of layers, correct?  You're saying that clicking this button -- that is, revealing the menu -- causes the simulation to slow down for a while?  This button is nothing more than a JToggleButton which triggers a JPopupMenu.  What operating system are you running?

This sounds like an OS bug.  The only thing I can think of (the button does _nothing_ but pop up that popup menu, which does _nothing_ unless you check or uncheck something) is that the popup menu obscured a part of the Display2D, causing the OS to start redrawing in a different mode because the drawing area for a little while wasn't square.  That'd be a pretty stupid OS bug.

Try this:

1. Make sure you're using the current version of MASON on SVN, not the tarball, so we can be in sync.
2. In sim/display/Display2D.java there is a line of code (around 1129) which says:

	popup.setLightWeightPopupEnabled(false);

Set this to true and see what happens.

Beyond this I will need an example.  You can mail it to me but beware that my turnaround is bad for the next two weeks because I'm in Italy with a limited internet connection.

Sean