MASON-INTEREST-L Archives

June 2012

From:
Date:
Wed, 6 Jun 2012 14:12:06 -0400
About JMF.

JMF is an abandoned Sun project for generating and viewing media of all kinds, but primarily video.  Rather than produce Java versions of various video codecs, Sun decided to go the cheapo route and rely on "performance packs" -- their term for wrappers over native operating-system-specific codecs.  This was a dumb decision, since it wasn't portable in any way, and you had to rely on JMF being installed system-wide on your computer.

So anyway.  The jmf.jar file that MASON uses by default (see the libraries on the MASON website) has no "performance packs" at all.  It's pure Java, which means it can only write out with a single codec: Motion JPEG.  Motion JPEG is little more than a stream of JPEG images, and as you might imagine, it generates gigantic video files.

This is easily fixed though: just generate the movie, then load it into a decent video program (Quicktime or iMovie will do on the Mac, I can't speak to Windows) and save it out again under a good codec.  I suggest H.264, though Apple Animation makes better files in some situations.

That's the first problem.  The second problem is that JMF generates Quicktime wrappers with corrupted format description strings.  This is also easily dealt with in the same way: load into Quicktime or iMovie or whatnot and save back out again under a different codec.

Because JMF is abandonware, you should never expect these to get fixed.  And there is no Java library I am aware of which can replace JMF realistically.  MASON, NetLogo, Processing, and Repast all have this issue.  But these are minor bugs that are easily worked around -- pump out the movie, then resave it as a different codec.

I'd suggest against stuff like CamStudio (or Snapz Pro on the Mac) because it doesn't sync with the actual frame rate of the simulation, but instead relies on a frame rate tied to real-time video.  That can't be good.

I added that note to the movie generation screen hoping it'd be helpful, but it sounds like it's just scaring people off.  Any suggestions about how to change the text?

Sean