MASON-INTEREST-L Archives

February 2012

Sender:
Date:
Fri, 10 Feb 2012 01:25:12 -0500
From:
On Feb 10, 2012, at 12:57 AM, Seth Tisue wrote:

> The causality goes both ways.  Your current tools are working fine for a
> cathedral-style project.  But they are also helping ensure that it
> stays cathedral-style forever because a community never develops.
>
> Historically, NetLogo has been 98% the work of a few core contributors,
> but we're trying to change that, and that's why we're on Git and GitHub
> now, to try to get the community ball rolling any way we can.  Is it
> working?  Too soon to tell, but I think it's worth a try.

Wait, NetLogo's gone fully open source?  When did this happen, Seth?

Your point is well taken.  On the other hand, NetLogo's got a much bigger user community than MASON, so it stands a better chance of going fully bazaar.  On the other other hand, NetLogo's user community tends to be far more newbie-ish than MASON's for obvious reasons, and so may have a lot fewer git-capable users.  So I dunno.

MASON's got some big upcoming plans.  Maybe we should consider broadening our outreach with a DVCS.  But it can't be for quite a while, I'm just too under the gun.