TITLE: Associate Editor, Perspectives on History
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
The Associate Editor serves in a variety of writing and editorial
capacities at the Association’s
headquarters office, working primarily on content for the news magazine,
but also social media
and press relations work as well as assisting with other print and
online publications as time
· Initiate, develop, and write news stories and other articles for
Perspectives on History,
Perspectives Online, and AHA Today.
· Manage, coordinate, copyedit, and proofread the News, In Memoriam,
Members, and Letters
to the Editor sections of Perspectives on History
· Copyedit and proofread other feature articles and correspond with
authors about suggested
revisions as needed.
· Track articles through the review process and maintain related
databases for Perspectives on
History and Perspectives Online.
· Facilitate monthly meetings of the Perspectives on History editorial
· Collaborate with Web Editor in the development of a dynamic social
· Assist with production of other web and print publications of the
Association, as needed.
· Work with Executive Director on media relations, including broadening
the AHA’s public
· Supervise editorial interns as needed.
· Participate in planning and implementing activities relating to annual
meeting (assigned as
needed, with flexibility)
· Other duties that may arise necessary to the functioning of the
· PhD in history preferred; ABDs with four years of relevant
experience may also apply.
· Strong writing skills
· Some experience with editing and proofreading
· Working knowledge of digital technologies and familiarity with social
SALARY: Comparable to entry level university faculty position. Benefits
competitive medical and life insurance and a qualified pension plan
SCHEDULE: 35 hours/week, Monday through Friday, occasional evenings and
weekends for meetings.
DATE POSTED: September 29, 2011
DATE AVAILABLE: Immediately, with some flexibility. Review of
begin October 31, 2011. Interviews might be conducted at AHA
APPLICATION To apply, send a cover letter, c.v., and a brief writing sample