EC-DIGEST-L Archives

October 2011

EC-DIGEST-L@LISTSERV.GMU.EDU

From:
Christopher Hollander <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Evolutionary Computation Digest <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Oct 2011 18:27:02 -0400
Evolutionary Computation Digest - Saturday, October 1st, 2011 Volume
25: Issue 10

SUBMISSION ADDRESS:    [log in to unmask]
LIST INFORMATION:      http://ec-digest.research.ucf.edu/

(UN)SUBSCRIPTION INSTRUCTIONS:  at the bottom of this email

Today's Topics:

 ANNOUNCEMENTS
 -------------
 - The TORCS Track Generator is Now Online at http://trackgen.pierlucalanzi.net
 - 2 phd positions at UNNC, start Jan 2012

 CFPs
 ----
 - evostar 2012 call for papers
 - The Ninth International Conference on Simulated Evolution And Learning
 - NIDISC'12: 15th International Workshop on Nature Inspired
Distributed Computing

CALENDAR OF GA-RELATED ACTIVITIES: (with EC-Digest issue reference)

NICSO 2011, Cluj Napoca, Romania, October, 20-22, 2011
 (v25n04)
EA-2011, Angers, France, October 24-26, 2011                            (v25n02)
EVO*, Malaga, Spain, April 11-13, 2012                                  (v25n08)
EuroGP 2012, Malaga, Spain, April 11-13, 2012                           (v25n08)

Sender: Pier Luca Lanzi [log in to unmask]
Subject: The TORCS Track Generator is Now Online at
http://trackgen.pierlucalanzi.net

Looking for new exciting TORCS tracks?

Visit our website (http://trackgen.pierlucalanzi.net), rank the tracks,
and download the ones you like choosing from five different scenarios!

The Open Racing Car Simulator (TORCS) is a state-of-the-art open source
car racing game that provides a sophisticated physics engine and
full 3-D visualization.

The TORCS Track Generator (http://trackgen.pierlucalanzi.net) is an
interactive collaborative tool, based on a genetic algorithm, for the
generation of racing tracks.

Fresh new tracks are available every day based on users’ preferences:
just let evolution do the job!

The TORCS track generator is an experiment in procedural content
generation using interactive genetic algorithms. The application has
been developed at the Politecnico di Milano, Dipartimento di Elettronica
e Informazione, by Luigi Cardamone, Pier Luca Lanzi and Daniele Loiacono.

More details are available in the following papers:

Luigi Cardamone, Daniele Loiacono, Pier Luca Lanzi: Interactive evolution
for the procedural generation of tracks in a high-end racing game.
GECCO 2011: 395-402 http://trackgen.pierlucalanzi.net/gecco2011trackgen.pdf

Daniele Loiacono, Luigi Cardamone, Pier Luca Lanzi: Automatic Track
Generation for High-End Racing Games Using Evolutionary Computation.
IEEE Transactions on Computational Intelligence and AI in Games 3(3)
http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/tocresult.jsp?isnumber=6017217

An early version is also available at:
http://trackgen.pierlucalanzi.net/trackgen2010.pdf

For additional information and suggestions, please email

Sender: John WOODWARD [log in to unmask]
Subject: 2 phd positions at UNNC, start Jan 2012

CANDIDATE ARE REQUESTED TO APPLY AS SOON AS POSSIBLE

The University of Nottingham, Ningbo, China has a number of PhD
positions available (some funded and some partly funded). The partly
funded position offers a good opportunity too as living in China is
cheap; around 2000 RMB/month will meet expenses (accommodation, travel
and food).

In computer science I am offering to supervise PhD projects in the
area of machine learning particularly around genetic programming.

Candidates can propose their own research agenda (about one page of
A4) or pick one based on those on my webpage
http://www.cs.nott.ac.uk/~jrw/.

Candidates are encouraged to look at the book chapter “Exploring
Hyper-heuristic Methodologies with Genetic Programming” available at
http://www.cs.nott.ac.uk/~jrw/publications/gphh.pdf

Informal enquires can be made to [log in to unmask]

CANDIDATE ARE REQUESTED TO APPLY AS SOON AS POSSIBLE

The positions are expected to start in January 2012.
Detail concerning admissions can be found here.
http://www.nottingham.edu.cn/en/admissions/postgraduateadmissionsinformation/phdprogram.aspx

Further details of funding are at
(English) http://www.nottingham.edu.cn/en/news/nottingham-to-lead-new-sino-uk-research-venture.aspx
(Chinese) http://news.163.com/11/0918/01/7E6SSL3R00014AED.html

Sender: Penousal Machado [log in to unmask]
Subject: evostar 2012 call for papers

evostar - the main european events on e
evo* 2012 Call for Papers

evostar - the main european events on evolutionary computation
eurogp, evocop, evobio, evomusart and evoapplications
11-13 april 2011 - malaga, spain
http://www.evostar.org

ABOUT EVO*
The evo* event comprises the premier co-located conferences in the
field of Evolutionary Computing: eurogp, evocop, evobio, evomusart and
evoapplications. In 2012, the evo* will take place at the Malaga,
Spain.

Featuring the latest in theoretical and applied research, evo* topics
include recent genetic programming challenges, evolutionary and other
meta-heuristic approaches for combinatorial optimization, evolutionary
algorithms, machine learning and data mining techniques in the
biosciences, in numerical optimization, in music and art domains, in
image analysis and signal processing, in hardware optimization and in
a wide range of applications to scientific, industrial, financial and
other real-world problems.

The proceedings will be published by Springer Verlag in the Lecture
Notes in Computer Science series.

EVO* EVENTS

eurogp
15th European Conference on Genetic Programming

evocop
12th European Conference on Evolutionary Computation in Combinatorial
Optimization

evobio
10th European Conference on Evolutionary Computation, Machine Learning
and Data Mining in Computational Biology

evomusart
1st International Conference and 10th European Event on Evolutionary
and Biologically Inspired Music, Sound, Art and Design

evoapplications
European Conference on the Applications of Evolutionary Computation
evocomnet - Track on nature-inspired techniques for telecommunication
networks and other parallel and distributed systems
>evocomplex - Track on algorithms and complex systems
>evofin - Track on evolutionary and natural computation in finance and economics
>evogames - Track on bio-inspired algorithms in games
>evohot - Track on bio-inspired heuristics for design automation
>evoiasp - Track on evolutionary computation in image analysis and signal processing
>evonum - Track bio-inspired algorithms for continuous parameter optimisation
>evopar - Track on parallel and distributed Infrastructures
>evorisk - Track on computational intelligence for risk management, security and defence applications
>evostim - Track on nature-inspired techniques in scheduling, planning and timetabling
>evostoc - Track on evolutionary algorithms in stochastic and dynamic environments
>evotranslog - Track on evolutionary computation in transportation and logistics

EVO* SUBMISSION INSTRUCTIONS

Submissions must be original and not published elsewhere. The
submissions will be peer reviewed by at least three members of the
program committee. The authors of accepted papers will have to improve
their paper on the basis of the reviewers' comments and will be asked
to send a camera ready version of their manuscripts. At least one
author of each accepted work has to register for the conference and
attend the conference and present the work.

The reviewing process will be double-blind, please omit information
about the authors in the submitted paper. Submit your manuscript in
Springer LNCS format. The submission deadline is 30 november 2011. The
other submission details are conference specific. Please follow the
instructions and links bellow.

eurogp:
submission link: http://myreview.csregistry.org/eurogp12/
>page limit: 12 pages

evocop:
submission link: http://myreview.csregistry.org/evocop12/
>page limit: 12 pages
evobio:
submission link: http://myreview.csregistry.org/evobio12/
>evobio is interested in papers in three major areas:
1. Full research articles (maximum 12 pages)
>>2. System Demonstrations (maximum 8 pages)
>>3. Short reports (maximum 8 pages)
>>4. Abstracts (maximum 4 pages)
evomusart:
submission link: http://myreview.csregistry.org/evomusart12/
>page limit: 12 pages
evoapplications:
submission link: http://myreview.csregistry.org/evoapps12/
>page limit: 10 pages

IMPORTANT DATES

submission deadline: 30 november 2011
notification to authors: 14 january 2012
camera-ready deadline: 5 february 2012

evo* event: 11-13 april 2012

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

evostar website: http://www.evostar.org

Sender: Lam Thu Bui [log in to unmask]
Subject: The Ninth International Conference on Simulated Evolution And Learning

The Ninth International Conference on Simulated Evolution And Learning
(SEAL'2012)
16-19 December 2012, Ha Noi, Vietnam
http://fit.lqdtu.edu.vn/seal2012

Aim and Scopes

 Evolution and learning are two fundamental forms of adaptation.
SEAL'2012 is the ninth biennial conference in the highly successful
series that aims at exploring these two forms of adaptation and their
roles and interactions in adaptive systems. Cross-fertilization
between evolutionary learning and other machine learning approaches,
such as neural network learning, reinforcement learning, decision tree
learning, fuzzy system learning, etc., will be strongly encouraged by
the conference. The other major theme of the conference is
optimization by evolutionary approaches or hybrid evolutionary
approaches. The topics of interest to this conference include but are
not limited to the following:

1. Evolutionary Learning
 * Fundamental Issues in Evolutionary Learning
 * Co-Evolutionary Learning
 * Modular Evolutionary Learning Systems
 * Classifier System
 * Collective Intelligence
 * Representation Issues in Evolutionary Learning
 * Artificial Immune Systems
 * Interactions Between Learning and Evolution
 * Credit Assignment
 * Swarm Intelligence
 * Comparison between Evolutionary Learning and Other Learning Approaches

2. Evolutionary Optimization
 * Combinatorial Optimization
 * Numerical/Function Optimization
 * Hybrid Optimization Algorithms
 * Comparison of Algorithms
 * Nature-Inspired Algorithms (ant colony optimization, particle swarm
optimization, memetic algorithms, simulated annealing, etc.)

3. Hybrid Learning
 * Evolutionary Artificial Neural Networks
 * Evolutionary Fuzzy Systems
 * Evolutionary Reinforcement Learning
 * Evolutionary Clustering
 * Evolutionary Decision Tree Learning
 * Evolutionary Unsupervised Learning
 * Genetic Programming
 * Other Hybrid Learning Systems
 * Developmental Processes

4. Adaptive Systems
 * Complexity in Adaptive Systems
 * Evolutionary Robotics
 * Evolvable Hardware and Software
 * Artificial Ecology
 * Evolutionary Games
 * Self-Repairing Systems
 * Memetic Computing
 * Evolutionary Computation Techniques in Economics, Finance and Marketing

5. Theoretical Issues in Evolutionary Computation
 * Computational Complexity of Evolutionary Algorithms
 * Self-Adaptation in Evolutionary Algorithms
 * Convergence and Convergence Rate of Evolutionary Algorithms

6. Real-World Applications of Evolutionary Computation Techniques

Publications

 All accepted papers which are presented at the conference will be
included in the conference proceedings, published as LNCS (Lecture
Notes in Computer Science) by Springer. Selected papers will be
invited to extend their work for submission to 1) Memetic Computing
Journal, 2) Ambient Intelligence Journal and 3) Springer-Verlag Book
Series on ‘Studies in Adaptation, Learning and Optimization.

Important Dates

 1 May 2012, deadline for submission of full papers (<=10 pages)
 1 July 2012, Notification of acceptance
 1 August 2012, Deadline for camera-ready copies of accepted papers
 15 August 2012: Early Registration
 16-19 December 2012, Conference sessions

Sender: Grégoire DANOY [log in to unmask]
Subject: 15th International Workshop on Nature Inspired Distributed Computing

                      The 15th International Workshop on
                   Nature Inspired Distributed Computing
                                 (NIDISC'12)
 http://nidisc2012.gforge.uni.lu/

                          held in conjunction with
                    The 26th IEEE International
  Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium  (IPDPS'2012)
                           21-25 May 2012

                           Shanghai, China
                         http://www.ipdps.org

Workshop Theme :
=============

Techniques based on metaheuristics and nature-inspired paradigms can
provide efficient solutions to a wide variety of problems. Moreover,
parallel and distributed metaheuristics can be used to provide more
powerful problem solving environments in a variety of fields, ranging,
for example, from finance to bio- and health-informatics. This
workshop seeks to provide an opportunity for researchers to explore
the connection between metaheuristics and the development of solutions
to problems that arise in operations research, parallel computing,
telecommunications, bioinformatics, and many others.

Topics of interest include, but are not limited to:
* Nature-inspired methods (e.g. ant colonies, GAs, cellular automata,
DNA and molecular computing, local search, etc) for problem solving
environments.
* Parallel and distributed metaheuristics techniques (algorithms,
technologies and tools).
* Applications combining traditional parallel and distributed
computing and optimization techniques as well as theoretical issues
(convergence, complexity, etc).
* Other algorithms and applications relating the above mentioned research areas.

Prospective authors of high quality research contributions are invited
to submit an electronic copy of their manuscript not exceeding 8
two-column pages including figures and references in the traditional
IEEE format used in IPDPS. Please, use Postscript or PDF when
possible. In your email, please indicate paper title, author(s), and
the corresponding author.

A selected group of papers from the workshop will be invited to submit
extended versions of their papers to a special issue of an
international scholarly journal. Further announcements will be made
during the workshop.

Important Dates:
 following text in the body of the message:

   subscribe ec-digest-l <Your Name (up to 4 words)>

 - To unsubscribe send email to [log in to unmask] containing the
 following text in the body of the message:

   unsubscribe ec-digest-l

 - To change your email address, simply unsubscribe the old address
 and subscribe the new one.

 - Send other administrative requests to [log in to unmask]

 - For further information about the digest, see
 http://ec-digest.research.ucf.edu

 End of Evolutionary Computation Digest