MASON-INTEREST-L Archives

August 2011

From:
Date:
Sat, 20 Aug 2011 17:31:26 -0400
Okay, I'm fiddling around with an additional random number generator
store in the GUIState.  It's a piece of cake to add and is entirely
backward-compatible.  The only two demo applications that required
(very minor) changes were LightCycles and Flockers.  Here's how I've
got it set up right now:

1. The random number generator is presently called "guirandom".  I
could call it "random", which would be consistent with state.random,
but I'm worried it'd confuse people.  Should I not be worried?  Or can
anyone think of a better name?  These variable names last forever.

2. The generator is created at GUIState construction time and is never
recreated thereafter (unless you want to do so yourself).  I think
that's the proper strategy.  It's presently just being created using
the current wall clock time, which should be sufficient I think.
Opinion?

3. One minor downside to not resetting the GUIState generator is that
every time you restart Flockers, even with the same seed, the colors
are different (of course).  I presume this is fine?

Sean