MASON-INTEREST-L Archives

November 2010

From:
"Maciej M. Latek" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Nov 2010 16:12:18 -0500
Dear Martin,

Sorry for delayed response, past two weeks were filled with
conferences and presentations. Let me share my experiences with large
scale routing on JUNG networks with you.

The biggest network we routed was 33000 nodes, 70000 edges
transportation graph. 16GB machine was able to handle JUNG's Dijkstra
and service repeated calls for paths with reasonable speed. As most of
paths were "local", I would expect that in general cache necessary to
handle such a graph would be larger.

One thing we experimented with was to switch to truncated
breadth-first search and caching of only requested paths. I attach a
sample modification of JUNG's code we played around. This approach
sacrifices sophistication for better control over speed / memory
trade-off.

We assume that your SimState can provide horizon for the
TruncatedDistanceLabeller. The code for TruncatedShortestPath
implements truncated breadth-first search, but as far as I see it does
not implement the limited caching. Let me know if such a solution
would be of interest to you.

Best regards

Maciej