HISTPHD-L Archives

November 2010

HISTPHD-L@LISTSERV.GMU.EDU

From:
Rana FitzGerald <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 2 Nov 2010 13:30:23 -0400
�Disaster! A Conference on Catastrophes in History.� April 9, 2011, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, Delaware

The University of Delaware-Hagley Fellows invites scholars to join us in a conversation about how disasters have shaped societies, cultures and environments since 1700. What makes a disaster a disaster? Who decides? How have they been interpreted? What are the consequences of disasters? What can historians gain by studying disasters? We particularly encourage proposals for papers that explore how disasters can inform the histories of business, technology, consumption, the environment, work, and everyday life.

We welcome proposals by both graduate students and established scholars. Financial assistance for travel will be provided to all conference presenters.
Please email a 300-word abstract and a one-page CV to the Hagley Fellows [log in to unmask]  by December 31, 2010. For more information:www.udel.edu/hagley.

--
Rana C. FitzGerald Graduate Coordinator Department of History and Art
History George Mason University Robinson Hall B 354 Tel: 703-993-1248