]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

MASON-INTEREST-L Home

MASON-INTEREST-L  April 2010

MASON-INTEREST-L April 2010

Re: Heap space problems with multiple runs and ParallelSequence

Sean Luke <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 14 Apr 2010 16:52:48 -0400

text/plain

Martin, ParallelSequence maintains a pool of threads and semaphores in
order to avoid reallocating new threads all the time (which is very
expensive).  Normally these are supposed to be freed during finalize().

But I'm guessing that your VM is not calling finalize() at all -- it's
not required of Java.  Hence those threads just sit around and start
filling up all your memory.  It'd make things very slow I imagine.

If you look at the ParallelSequence code there's a non-public function
called "gatherThreads".  This is called by finalize to clean up when
the object goes away.  I suggest as a test you make gatherThreads
public, then you manually call gatherThreads() yourself on every
ParallelSequence you create before the next iteration of your model.
This should force the ParallelSequences to kill their threads and get
rid of their semaphores, at which point you can throw them away.

Tell me if this fixes things.  If it does I need to think about what
the best way would be to enable this in MASON.

Sean