]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

BIS-L Home

BIS-L  January 2010

BIS-L January 2010

Invitation to Participate in an Ethnographic Study of Nontraditional Students

Bachelor of Individualized Study <[log in to unmask]>

Bachelor of Individualized Study <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 22 Jan 2010 08:41:46 -0500

text/plain

Dear BIS Students,

You are invited to participate in an ethnographic study that I am
conducting as my Bachelor of Individualized Study final research project. I
am interested in men and women who have returned to school as adults, often
referred to as non-traditional students. As a member of this group, I have
been curious to learn about what the motivating factors were for others
making the decision to cut short as well as continue their formal
educations and what, if any, impact the experience has had/is having on
their lives. I am also interested in learning about otherís day-to-day on
campus experiences.

If you agree to participate, I would like to meet with you on campus one or
two times in February or early March, at a time(s) that are convenient to
you. I expect each of our conversations to last approximately 30 minutes. I
realize that your time is valuable and I will not presume to squander it.
During our visits I will take notes and, with your consent, audio record
our sessions for accuracy. I will be the only person to listen to these
recordings and they will be destroyed once the study is complete.

There are no foreseeable risks to you. For the sake of privacy, if you like
you will be given a pseudonym.

I am hoping that this study will add insight to another aspect of diversity
on college campuses and perhaps be of interest to other men and women who
are considering returning to school.

You have the option to withdraw from the study at any time. You also have
my gratitude.

Hattie Barker
703-780-7000