]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

BIS-L Home

BIS-L  November 2009

BIS-L November 2009

This Week in Career Services, November 23rd

"Stephanie A. Barnett" <[log in to unmask]>

Stephanie A. Barnett

Mon, 23 Nov 2009 09:19:11 -0500

text/plain

This Week in Career Services, November 23rd

1. After Thanksgiving workshops
2. Create a resume in PJW
3. Road Trips to the Real World
4. Semester at Sea for grad students
5. Email Introductions that Generate Job Leads

1. After Thanksgiving workshops

Winter Break Search Strategies & Networking
Tuesday, Dec. 1 4 - 6 p.m. SUB I, Rooms A & B

Salary Negotiation
Tuesday, Dec. 1 6 - 7 p.m. SUB I, Rooms A & B

For a complete list of workshops and events visit our calendar.
Back to Index

2. Create a resume in PJW

Getting ready to do some job hunting over winter break? Create a first
draft of your resume using Resume Builder, our online software that walks
you through writing each step.

In order to access Resume Builder follow these steps:

1. Log in to PJW
2. Click on "documents" in the menu bar at the top of the page
3. Click on the Resume Builder tab
4. Follow the directions through each step
Back to Index

3. Road Trips to the Real World
Join us January 4 - 15, 2010, for exciting employer site visits, where you
can learn about careers, make contacts for internships and jobs, improve
your networking skills and meet other college students from across the
Northeast! All majors and class years are welcome.

This year's sites include:

 Amica Insurance (Lincoln, RI)
 Charles River Labs (Germantown, MD)
 Citizen's Bank Park (Philadelphia, PA)
 City Year (New York, NY)
 City Year (Philadelphia, PA)
 City Year (Washington, DC)
 Liberty Mutual (Boston, MA)
 Medical Information Technology "MEDITECH" (Framingham, MA)
 National Securities Agency (NSA) (Ft Meade, MD)
 New England Aquarium (Boston, MA)
 New England Center for Children (Boston, MA)
 Penguin Putnum (New York, NY)
 Philadelphia Zoo (Philadelphia, PA)
 State Street (Boston, MA)
 Target (New York, NY)
 Teach for America (New York, NY)
 The TJX Companies, Inc. (Framingham, MA)
 WHYY (Philadelphia, PA)

Registration: Begins Tuesday, Dec. 1 at 10 a.m. and ends Friday, Dec. 11.
Limited spots are available so register early.

Cost: $5 per site (Students are responsible for their own transportation.)
Back to Index

4. Semester at Sea for grad students

Next summer, Semester at Sea is launching a new academic and experiential
component focusing on graduate students in higher education - Student
Affairs at Sea. This program is intended to introduce graduate students to
international perspectives on student affairs.

Selected students will enroll in a graduate-level course taught by Dr.
Kathleen Manning, professor of Higher Education and Student Affairs
Administration at the University of Vermont. Course credit will be issued
through the University of Virginia. Participating graduate students will
have the opportunity to intern with student services staff aboard the ship
and to partake in organized visits to various institutions of higher
education. The itinerary for the 10-week voyage is the Mediterranean
(Europe and North Africa). A limited number of paid graduate internships
are available as "Program Assistants." Approximately 550 undergraduates
from colleges and universities throughout the U.S. and abroad will also
comprise the shipboard community.
Back to Index

5. Email Introductions that Generate Job Leads

by Andrea Rice on GottaMentor.com

If you want to open doors in your job search, focus on finding the right
people to do an email introduction for you. The hiring manager who receives
an email about you from her friend, is far more likely to invite you to
take the next step, whether it's a request to send your resume, call her on
the phone or meet with you. Why? Because she trusts her friend's judgment,
and if her friend is willing to put her reputation on the line to recommend
you, you're someone she wants to meet. Keep reading...
Back to Index

Career Services ... Connecting to Your Future
SUB I, Room 348     careers.gmu.edu     703-993-2370