MASON-INTEREST-L Archives

September 2009

Sender:
Date:
Wed, 2 Sep 2009 16:21:27 +0200
From:
To: MASON Multiagent Simulation Toolkit <[log in to unmask]>
Okay, here's the deal.

Java3D isn't, shall we say, the easiest to use rendering system.  But
it's what we need to make do with.  :-(  One of the problems with
Java3D is that it has a lot of hidden, undocumented nonsense.
Changing colors in spheres is one of them.  Things that Sun never told
us:

1. You can't create a *new* Appearance object once the scene is live
-- you have to change the existing one.
2. BUT you still have to call setAppearance(...) with this existing
object.
3. AND you have to call setAppearance on the shape, not the
SpherePortrayal3D.  Even though the SpherePortrayal3D has... as
setAppearance method.

Grrr...

Okay, I've got something working, so if you need something immediately
I can provide you with an example, and two revised files, which will
change colors as you like.  But to do it well and properly, I'll need
to make a few more tweaks.

Sean