MASON-INTEREST-L Archives

July 2009

From:
Trent Gordon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Jul 2009 15:24:32 -0400
Hey, I'm new to Mason, and agent simulation as a whole.  I have constructed
a program that moves agents around relative to their distance to their
closest neighbor bla bla bla.  The point is, these agents are continuously
re-setting their edges to other, closer, neighbors.  I am trying to, in the
long run, graph this on a histogram (to see how long certain agents link
with others etc...) but am having extreme difficulty getting the inspectors
to work as I'd like.  I extended the Edge class to my own so that I could
use a setTo() method to alter the edge without re-initilizing it (otherwise
I could NEVER follow it with an inspector because the agents change
neighbors so rapidly).  This way, I am able to watch an edge for the entire
program (every agent has only one edge leading away from them (though
multiple, or none, coming to them).
Now, however, the info that I re-send to the CustomEdge object every time
the agent changes neighbors is not updated on the inspector.  For instance,
it shows that the edge links agent 2 with agent 3, but as soon as agent 2
links to agent 4, the inspector window still shows it being linked to agent 3.
I would also like to have the inspector show the distance between nodes, but
again, it shows the first distance and never changes from there.

-so-
*Is there a known issue with using an inspector to watch a dynamic edge?

*Anyone have a better idea how I can go about watching these values (and
charting them in the long run), I dont need edges for anything other than
visually showing which agent is connecting to another.

*How do I get the histogram option on the inspector to un-gray itself?

I really appreciate any help here, I've got a deadline to meet with this.

-T