HISTPHD-L Archives

May 2009

HISTPHD-L@LISTSERV.GMU.EDU

From:
"Mack P. Holt" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mack P. Holt
Date:
Sun, 10 May 2009 17:40:48 -0400
Dear Ph.D. Students,

Because of the lengthy time it has taken many of you to complete
minor field statements, the department decided to make a change in
the way minor fields can be satisfied. If you have already completed
your minor fields, this change will not affect you at all. If you
have not yet completed both minor fields, you will now have a choice
of how to satisfy any remaining minor fields. And this change will
only be mandatory for those students entering in Fall 2010 and after.
At its meeting on May 7 the department's full-time faculty voted to
substitute a take-home, open book essay exam for the field statement
for students beginning in Fall 2010. The exam will be given during
the final exam period at the end of the semester the student takes
the HIST 804 readings course. Details are spelled out in the actual
motion from the Graduate Committee that the department faculty
approved unanimously on Thursday. The Graduate Committee has been
discussing how to deal with the problem of field statements for over
a year, so this is not a decision that we have made in haste or taken
lightly. Moreover, we have relied on input from the two student
members of the Graduate Committee during this entire discussion. So,
please be assured that we have taken this step in order to make it
easier for you to get through our program requirements quicker and
with less anxiety than at present, so that you can advance to
doctoral candidacy sooner and get on with your dissertation.

Please read through the enclosed attachment carefully, and please let
me or Steve Barnes, who is also a member of the Graduate Committee,
know if you have any questions.

Mack Holt
--
Mack P. Holt