The BIS program is pleased to announce the approval of our Honors Program.
Consistent with many other majors in the College of Humanities and Social
Sciences (CHSS), BIS now has an honors program for talented, motivated
Eligible students must:
• Have an approved BIS Educational Contract with a Faculty Mentor.
• Have accumulated at least 90 credit hours upon entering the honors
• Have a cumulative GPA at Mason of at least 3.75.
• Have completed ENGL 302 with a grade of B+ or higher.
• Have not honors violations on their academic record
• Have completed (or will be taking) a research methods course relevant to
their BIS concentration.
• Have six or fewer credits remaining in their BIS concentration, not
counting BIS core courses.
• Be willing to commit to two consecutive semesters of coursework: BIS 391
(The Research Process for Honors) and BIS 490 (Senior Capstone – as an
individualized section) and the corequisite, BIS 491 (Capstone
The honors program provides additional challenge to students how are
interested in conducting original research as part of their BIS 490
capstone project. To earn Honors in BIS, students need to meet certain GPA
requirements in their final BIS courses and maintain an overall GPA of
3.75. Applications are due the semester before students intend to enroll
in BIS 390/391.
To be considered for Honors for fall 2009, students must submit an Honors
Program Intent Form and an Honors Faculty Mentor Recommendation Form by
May 5, 2009. For more information and copies of the intent and faculty
recommendation forms, please visit the forms and information page on our
We are hosting an Honors Information Session on Wednesday, April 15 at
4:00 PM in room 318 ENT. Please come to have your questions answered
whether you are a candidate for this fall or beyond.