MASON-INTEREST-L Archives

October 2007

From:
Date:
Fri, 12 Oct 2007 19:18:46 -0400
Note that on line 101 of SparseFieldPortrayal3D.java, we have:

	for(int t= globalTG.numChildren()-1; t>=0; t--)

... that is, we're going backwards through the array of children.  We
do this because of how I understood children were stored: in a
packed, ordered fashion.  So if you deleted a child, all the children
to its right would be slid down one index in the array.  Since we
were deleting as we went (sometimes), going backwards would allow us
to do all the children in order despite deleting some of them.  This
*shouldn't* cause the array to get too small that the index (t) would
be out of bounds in this line (110):

	            BranchGroup localBG = (BranchGroup)globalTG.getChild(t);

... but it appears to be doing so and I'm not sure why.  My first
guess is that the line

                     globalTG.setChild(newlocalBG, t);

is mucking up the array in a way I hadn't anticipated.  So I'd start
looking there.

Sean