]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

MASON-INTEREST-L Home

MASON-INTEREST-L  November 2006

MASON-INTEREST-L November 2006

Re: RePast 3.0, GrowLAB, and MASON's GUI

Christopher Roach <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 5 Nov 2006 17:51:33 -0500

text/plain

Hi Sean,

I wouldn't mind trying out the docked version of MASON--maybe you could post
your code somewhere and let us give it a try.  As for my opinion on these
things, I'm not necessarily sold on either side.  For smaller simulations
(i.e., those simulations with only a couple of displays) I prefer the
non-docked application, however, for larger simulations with several displays
and lots of graphs, I think a docked interface makes them more manageable and
brings a bit of order to the chaos.  Especially on laptops where screen real
estate is a valuable commodity, I believe the docked interface could be of
value.  As of right now I have just a simple simulation I am running with a
single display and when I open up a graph on the simulation on my PowerBook, I
already start overlapping my screens.  Now as for the added library file, I do
agree that it is a bit of a burden to have one more thing to download, but
nothing that would be too much of a pain to keep me from using MASON.  The main
thing that I would try to avoid is adding too much on to MASON that does not
have to do with the core functionality.  One of the reasons I went with MASON
in the first place is its clean and efficient API, and I would hate to see that
sullied by the addition of a bunch of bells and whistles that have nothing to do
with creating a fast, effective simulation.

Just my two cents.

Keep up the good work.

Christopher